1 ( Harlequin) a mute character in traditional pantomime, typically masked and dressed in a diamond-patterned costume.
• historical a stock comic character in Italian commedia dell ’ arte.
2 (also harlequin duck) a small duck of fast-flowing streams around the Arctic and North Pacific, the male having mainly gray-blue plumage with bold white markings. • Histrionicus histrionicus, family Anatidae.
in varied colors; variegated.
creature |ˈkrē ch ər|
an animal, as distinct from a human being : night sounds of birds and other creatures.
• an animal or person : as fellow creatures on this planet, animals deserve respect.
• a fictional or imaginary being, typically a frightening one : a creature from outer space.
• archaic anything living or existing : dress, jewels, and other transitory creatures.
• a person of a specified kind, typically one viewed with pity, contempt, or desire : you heartless creature!
• a person or organization considered to be under the complete control of another : the village teacher was expected to be the creature of his employer.
the creature takes many forms…what do you think it looks like??
as part of the launch of our membership-based HARLEQUIN CREATURE COLLECTIVE (to be formally announced later this year), we are collecting images to be featured in the first ever hc mailer.
every creature we receive by april 1st will appear in the mailing alongside a manifesto written by editors meghan forbes & hannah mcmurray. we want creatures draw by hand, made on the typewriter or with moveable type, collaged, photographed, whatever.
please send us your images as high-resolution black&white pdfs, tifs, or jpgs with nothing else but your creature in the file to email@example.com
take a listen @ what’s inside issue 5 :
full thang launches in april; limited edition as always so good idea to pre-order now!